Covid-19: The Small Business Charter response
At times of universal challenge it remains as important as ever that organisations such as the Chartered ABS and the Small Business Charter create opportunities for discussion, debate, knowledge exchange and networking. These now require a different approach.
In response to the rapidly changing situation the SBC is doing three things:
- Undertaking swift action
We are monitoring the developments relating to the spread of the virus and noting the updates and advice given by the UK government and the WHO. In response to the government’s recent decision to move to the ‘delay’ phase of the Covid-19 action plan, and in consultation with our members, the SBC has cancelled a number of events that were due to take place in March and April. We are communicating directly with the individuals registered for these events.
Currently, events scheduled for May 2020 onwards are due to go ahead as planned but given the rapidly changing situation it is possible that more events might need to be cancelled or postponed. If you are registered for an upcoming event please refer to the events pages for the latest information or contact email@example.com.
2. Managing risk
For those events that we consider safe to run we are taking measures to minimise the risk to attendees. This includes:
- Requiring venues to frequently clean shared spaces, particularly high-traffic areas
- Restricting the use of shared microphones and ensuring that these are sanitised regularly
- Ensuring that Chartered ABS and venue staff are well-briefed on hand and respiratory hygiene
- Reminding attendees to take an appropriate approach to personal hygiene when attending our events
- Requesting attendees to seek medical care should they begin to experience Covid-19 like symptoms (a cough, a high temperature, shortness of breath) when at one of our events
- Communicating with attendees post-event to find out whether anyone has developed Covid-19 like symptoms and then, if appropriate, circulating relevant information and advice to other attendees
3. Exploring new opportunities
The Covid-19 pandemic has expediated the rise in online and distance learning and is forcing all organisations to think more creatively about how to facilitate interaction between people in different locations. We are exploring the ways in which we can deliver our events wholly or partially online and anticipate that this crisis will be a catalyst for some exciting new events that blend online and face-to-face interaction. Please keep an eye on the Chartered ABS and Small Business Charter websites for further details.